FME 2016 was held in Biggar, Scotland, hosted by Reforesting Scotland.
Main issues discussed were:
- How Non-timber Forest Products can be used to diversify economic activities in forests and rural areas
- The impact of EU bioenergy demand on forests in the South of USA
- Forests, BECCS and the Paris Agreement
- Traditional conservation measures and how they fail wildlife and communities in the Congo Basin
- The impact of the pulp and paper industry on forests
- The EU Timber Regulation and the potential for a new Action Plan on Deforestation
- The EU’s Free Trade Agreement with Malaysia and the impact on forests
- Scotland’s new land law
- Showing how banks are implicated in deforestation
FME members also expressed their anger at the imminent logging of the Bialowieza Forest in Poland.