This seminar held in May 2016 brought key scientists together with environmental, development and human rights NGOs to understand the Paris Agreement’s implications for forests and land use. A final report of the meeting gives an overview of discussions and presentations given.
After presentations and discussions, participants agreed on the following priorities:
- Urgent need to reduce emissions
- Urgent need to increase carbon sequestration in land and forests
- Forests and land do not offset fossil fuel emissions
- Redefine ‘negative emissions’
By 2020, bioenergy will account for more than 10 per cent of total energy consumption in the EU. Scandinavian forests will be a significant source of biomass for energy, but intensified harvesting could substantially harm biodiversity and impact on the climate.
On 30 January, Satu Hassi MEP (Greens/EFA), EEB, BirdLife Europe, ClientEarth and FERN organised an event in the European Parliament on sustainability of Scandinavian biomass.
The event included presentations from Professor Bengt Gunnar Jonsson (Mid Sweden University), Jonas Rudberg (Swedish Society for Nature Conservation) and Anna Repo (Finnish Environment Institute).
Panellists were Olof Johansson (Sveaskog), Hans Van Steen (European Commission, DG Energy), Petteri Kuuva (Ministry of Employment and Economy, Finland), Sini Eräjää (Finnish Association for Nature Conservation) and Ariel Brunner (BirdLife Europe)
NGO briefing on biomass
Report from FANC “Felling the golden goose. The sustainable limits of Finland’s biomass ambitions”
Report from SSNC “Credibility at stake”
Bioenergy will account for over 10 per cent of total energy consumption in the EU by 2020.
On 29 March, Linda McAvan MEP (S&D), Fiona Hall MEP (ALDE), Bas Eickhout MEP (Greens/EFA), BirdLife, FERN and the European Environmental Bureau organised an event in the European Parliament which discussed sustainability issues linked to biomass for energy and the impact on the climate, for 2020 and beyond.
The event included presentations from Neil Bird (Joanneum Research), David Carr (Southern Environmental Law Center, US) and Detlef Sprinz (Chairman Scientific Committee, European Environment Agency).
- NGO briefing on biomass
- Opinion of the EEA Scientific Committee on Greenhouse Gas Accounting in Relation to Bioenergy
- Study from the Biomass Energy Resource Center, the Forest Guild and the Spatial Informatics Group on "Biomass Supply and Carbon Accounting for Southeastern Forests"
- Searchinger et al., Fixing a critical carbon accounting error; (Science, October 2009)
- Haberl et al., Correcting a fundamental error in greenhouse gas accounting related to bioenergy; (Energy policy, February 2012)
Presentations from "Biomass and resource efficiency: The need for a supply-led approach to forest productivity"
“Measures are needed to ensure use of forest products is not guided by unregulated demand, but by what forests can sustainably supply,” this was one of the conclusions of the "Biomass and Resource Efficiency" event attended by more than 70 people at the European Parliament. It was organised by FERN, ClientEarth, the Greens and Grupo PPE.
The three attached presentations come from Marcus Lindner, looking at European Forests and the EUWood study, Sten Nilsson looking at the global situation and Joost Van de Velde, looking at wider global trends.
Bas Eickhout MEP, concluded the event by stating that "Sustainability criteria for bioenergy are crucial. That does not mean we should support low and unambitious criteria. If the criteria turn out to be very weak, we have to vote against and demand a stronger proposal. I therefore urge the Commission to put a proposal on the table that properly addresses the carbon debt of biomass."
- The potential role of biomass in the EU (Veerle Dossche - FERN)
- Wood as energetic biomass - threats and opportunities (Zdenek Postulka - Hnuti Duha)
- Cooling the planet with biomass (Deepak Rughani - Biofuelwatch)
- Overview of Forestry Measures in Rural Development (Joost Vandevelde - DG Environment)
- Bioenergy in Cohesion Policy (Beth Masterson & Mathieu Fichter - DG Regio)
|The potential role of biomass in the EU||1.29 MB|
|Wood as energetic biomass - threats and opportunities||4.65 MB|
|Cooling the planet with biomass||5.48 MB|
|Overview of Forestry Measures in Rural Development||3.38 MB|
|Bioenergy in Cohesion Policy||844 KB|