FME 2009 was held in Switzerland in a managed forest in the village of Leuenberg. It was hosted by the Bruno Manser Fonds (www.bmf.ch). The meeting included a discussion with Jurgen Blaser, advisor to the World Bank’s Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF). It included representatives from many continents battling against unsustainable production of paper.
Main issues discussed during the meeting included:
- Paper Reduction: The Shrink Campaign, led by the European Paper Network
- Illegal logging : Voluntary Partnership Agreements (VPAs) and additional Legislation to control illegal logging
- Certification and FSC reforms
- REDD and UNFCC discussions
- Problems with carbon trading, specifically related to REDD
- Bio-energy, problems with biofuel and possibilities of biomass
Many of the organisations present signed-on to the Leuenberg Declaration.
Please see here for copies of presentations given: